Wednesday 4 November 2020

John Smith

What of this obsession with the colonizer?
I jog my memory, I run the hard-drive of 
my mind. My dad's voice ringing in my 
six year old ears: Call her Safia so that
her name is not a tongue-twister. 

Twisting whose tongue? Do I twist
their tongues now? Titillating, 
tempting, triumphant, truce. 
Sadistic seething. Sinister 
satisfaction. 

Desire me so that I can learn 
to love myself. No. Lay your
hands on me so that this emptiness 
is filled with something close
to the feeling of 
an existence. 

Wait. 

Think about that. Without the 
affirmation of your gaze, lust, 
eyes on my soul shifting face 
fleeting floating. I am stuck 
somewhere between the void 
and nothing.

Now tell me that colonization
brought boons? My bones
bereft of belonging.

Or maybe it is about possession
of power? For me. Pretty plight
pleaing to prey.

No comments:

Post a Comment